Guide to Update AT&T Galaxy S2 to Android 4.2.2 AvatarROM Custom ROM
Update your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 to Android 4.2.2 using the AvatarROM custom firmware. AvatarROM uses the CyanogenMod with MIUI themes, so you will be enjoying CM features with beautiful MIUI themes. Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean has still not been released officially for Galaxy S2 i777. So if you want to check out the latest Android OS, then install this custom ROM following the few easy steps mentioned in this tutorial.
Note: this custom firmware is still in development stage so we are expecting to find some bugs or issues. But we do hope they would be taken care of as the development progresses.
Prerequisites to check before you update AT&T Galaxy S2 to Android 4.2.2 AvatarROM custom firmware:
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S2 i777 in your computer.
- Create backup of all the important data from your SGS2 since the tutorial asks you to wipe data.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to update AT&T Galaxy S2 to Android 4.2.2 AvatarROM custom firmware:
Required files: download the AvatarROM build 2.12b zip from this link and save the file on your PC. Do not extract the contents. Also, download the GApps for S2 from here. Do not unzip and save the file on computer.
- Connect your Galaxy S2 to computer using USB cable and copy both the files onto your smartphone’s internal storage. When the files are copied, disconnect the Galaxy S2 from PC.
- Power off your S2 I777 and boot into CWM recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Release the keys when screen shows a warning message. Press Volume Up to confirm being in recovery mode.
- Create a Nandroid backup: backup and restore > backup. Important step to be able to restore to current OS in case something goes wrong or you want to switch back.
- Now, perform data wiping tasks: select wipe data/ factory reset option and confirm it. This will wipe your data. Also, wipe cache partition and go to advance to wipe dalvik cache too.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdCard and locate the AvatarROM 2.12b zip and start the installation process.
- When firmware installation is completed successfully, repeat the above step for Google apps package installation.
- When GApps is also installed, return to the main menu of the Recovery screen and select reboot system now to reboot Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 into Android 4.2.2 AvatarROM.
- This will take a few minutes since it is a first boot into new ROM and things would take time to settle down.
Your SGS2 SGH-i777 is now up and running the latest Android 4.2.2!