Downgrade iOS 9 GM To iOS 8.4.1 On iPhone, iPad, IPod touch – How To
Here’s how you can downgrade iOS 9 GM to iOS 8.4.1 on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in a few and easy to understand steps.
iOS 9 GM has been released by Apple and is available to download to many developers around the world, including fans who have signed up to the Apple Developer Program to gain access to software bits before anyone else. But quite frankly, new software is not everyone’s cup of tea for one reason or the other, and if you think that you’ve made a mistake updating to iOS 9 GM then you can downgrade back to iOS 8.4.1 right away in a few easy to understand steps.
Let’s dive right into it!
Downgrade iOS 9 GM To iOS 8.4.1
1. Download the iOS 8.4.1 IPSW relevant to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your PC or Mac. Make sure you download the correct one otherwise the downgrade process will simply fail.
2. With the iOS 8.4.1 final IPSW downloaded onto your PC or Mac, launch iTunes with your iOS device connected to your computer via USB.
3. Select your device from the top left hand corner in iTunes.
4. Now click on the ‘Restore iPhone’ button while holding down the left ‘Option’ key if you’re on a Mac, or the left ‘Shift’ key if you’re on a Windows PC. A new pop-up window will open asking you to point it to an IPSW firmware file.
5. Select the iOS 8.4.1 IPSW you downloaded in step 1. Make sure you’re connected to the Internet at this point, otherwise iTunes won’t be able to authorize the firmware file.
6. iTunes will work its magic and after a few minutes (which can take a while as well) you’ll boot straight into iOS 8.4.1. Simply set up your device as you normally would and start using it.
That’s it, you’re done.
iOS 9 is a huge upgrade, and today saw the release of the Golden Master candidate build, which is essentially the final release that is seeded to developers a week before the global consumer rollout. But as we said before, new firmware releases aren’t exactly something which everyone wants and we all have our reasons to stick with legacy software, mainly due to the reason of jailbreaking.
Speaking of jailbreaking, progress is being made on iOS 8.4.1, and it was just recently Pangu demoed a jailbreak on an iPhone 6. A release could happen in due course.
Did you stick with iOS 9 GM or did you downgrade to iOS 8.4.1? Do let us know in the comments section below.