How To Use Custom DNS Settings On iPhone, iPad
Here’s how you can use custom DNS settings / addresses on iPhone, iPad when connected to a WiFi network. This method will increase response times and make the Internet work way better on iOS.
Why Use A Custom DNS?
Your ISP provided DNS can be a little shoddy at times, and can result in slow response times while opening different Web pages. Therefore, it’s a good idea to use third-party or custom DNS addresses to resolve the issue. Simply utilize a search engine to find out more about the different DNS providers out there, and the good news is – most of them are free.
Use Custom DNS Settings On iOS
1. Launch the iOS Settings app from your home screen.
2. Tap on ‘Wi-Fi’ up top.
3. Make sure you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network. The little blue ‘checkmark’ icon next to the WiFi name is the best way to confirm if you’re connected to that network or not.
4. Tap on the little ‘i’ logo next to your WiFi’s name.
5. Here you’ll see a list of options pertaining to your WiFi network. And since we’re interested in playing around with the DNS settings, hence tap on its field to make the changes.
6. Input the custom DNS you wish to use. For the sake of this guide, we’re going ahead with Google’s public DNS addresses. Yours can be different, of course.
7. Exit the Settings app by pressing the Home button and your settings will take effect immediately.
You’ll notice that with the new DNS settings in place, the Internet works much better than before. But keep one thing in mind though, the improvement will be more visible if there really is a problem with your ISP provided DNS. If your ISP is slow due to technical or hardware reasons, then a change of DNS won’t make the Internet magically faster. Be sure to keep that in mind before pointing your fingers at us.
One thing that should also be made clear here is that third-party DNS settings won’t upgrade your Internet connection speed. Meaning, if you have, let’s say, a 10Mbps connection, then don’t expect it to give you more than advertised download speeds just with a simple change of DNS settings. Improved DNS settings will only enhance the response time, nothing more, nothing less.
If this guide helped you out in any case, and you’re experiencing a far better Internet experience on your iPhone and iPad, then be sure to let us know about it in the comments section below.