The Wii-U is Nintendo’s next big innovation in the world of console gaming, after stealing the show and sales from the PS3 and XBOX 360 in the past with the Wii and dominating the handheld market with the Nintendo DS series and then the 3DS Nintendo is looking to make a comeback this time around with something no console generation has done before. The Wii-U is another innovative idea which will make it so that console gamers won’t need a television to play video games any more and many other robust features are definitely making the console a must buy on a lot of shoppers wish list.
Rumors of the Wii-U continue to pour in but it seems that those rumors can finally be put to rest as the Wii-U has made an appearance on Amazon, while the site hasn’t listed a price for the product as of yet we can easily speculate that Nintendo will keep it within the USD $200 – 300 price range. The site gives us complete details on the hardware, internal workings, features and even the launch titles.
Let’s first see the basic description of the console (Taken from Source)
The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
Now let’s see the launch titles list: (Taken from Source)
The Wii U Release Software Lineup
Wii U will feature a wide variety of exciting first and third party games and software at the time of system launch. Just a few of those players can expect include:
- New Super Mario Bros. Mii
- Darksiders II
- Aliens Colonial Marines
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online
- Metro Last Light
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge (working title)
- And Nintendo Mii-based software yet to be confirmed
Now let’s see whats under the hood (technical specifications and once again taken from the source)
- Console Size – Approximately 1.8-inches tall, 6.8-inches wide and 10.5-inches long.
- New Controller – The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog circle pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a power button, home button, +control pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
- Other Controls – Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.
- Media – A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
- Video Output – Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
- Audio Output – Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
- Storage – The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
- CPU – IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
- GPU – AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
- Other – Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
and finally the new controller (Taken from Source)
The New Controller
In addition to its 6.2-inch screen, the new controller also features an accelerometer and a gyroscope, a rumble feature, an inward-facing camera, a microphone and speakers. Adding these features to the Classic Controller button scheme — two analog Circle Pads, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons — will enable a breadth of gameplay experiences while appealing to both casual and dedicated video game players. The Wii U system can also use up to four additional Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus controllers and is backward compatible to all Wii games and all Wii accessories. The Wii console has sold more than 86 million units globally and greatly expanded the overall audience for video games. Wii U aims to expand that audience even further.
and some more details regarding the console and what to expect from it (Taken from Source)
A New Wii Console Experience
According to Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, “Wii U redefines the structure of home entertainment by fundamentally changing how the TV, the game console and the Internet function and interact together,” he continues, “The experience enabled by Wii U and its new controller takes players deeper into their games, while reaching out wider than ever before to be inviting to all kinds of gamers.”A new Wii console experience that fundamentally changes how the TV, game console and the Internet function and interact together.
View larger.A unique new controller packed with advanced features.
View larger.An exciting roster of new games and software available at launch, as well as backwards compatibility to all Wii games.
Wii U combines motion-sensing gameplay with the ability to support full HD graphics. Each Wii U console will be paired with a new groundbreaking controller, with its 6.2-inch wide screen. Previously, video games played on a home consoles have been confined to the TV and offered identical viewpoints to each player in a multiplayer environment. The Wii U controller enhances that experience with different viewpoints available in-game and in differing games/game situations. Also, watching TV and playing console games have been completely separate experiences. The new controller removes these boundaries, creating a more dynamic and fluid gaming and entertainment experience.
As you can see the Wii-U and all it’s details are here clear as day which means that the only thing still in the air is a proper release date and the price tag on this beauty, other wise the launch titles look pretty amazing with a good mix of first party and third party games which are sure to make this console like hot cakes. Its no secret that Nintendo’s fanbase is one of the largest in the world so I am sure that fans across the world will be glad to buy this.