Check iPhone, iPad iCloud Activation Lock Status Online – How To
Here’s how you can check the iCloud Activation Lock status of an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch online using Apple’s official tool.
In case a user loses their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, locking the device down using Apple’s Find My iPhone service should be the first port of call for anyone. Once you’re done, the lost device will be essentially rendered useless to anyone who finds it, and can only be unlocked and reused once again if the true owner logs back in with their iCloud ID.
That magical feature is what Apple calls ‘iCloud Activation Lock.’
So, in case you’re buying a used iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from someone, or planning to sell yours to a third-party, then you would want to make sure that the device you’re purchasing or giving away has iCloud Activation Lock disabled, to save you from a bit of trouble before you even begin to start using it. And today we’ll show you how to check the Activation Lock status of an iOS device using Apple’s official online tool.
Check iPhone, iPad iCloud Activation Lock Status
1. Launch your Web browser on your PC or Mac and go this link.
2. You’ll be asked to enter the device’s serial or IMEI number. To find out your device’s serial number, simply navigate to Settings > General > About and look for an entry labelled ‘Serial Number.’
If you’re on an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch’s iOS setup assistant screen, then simply tap on the ‘i’ button on the bottom right corner to reveal the IMEI number.
3. Enter the IMEI or Serial Number in the text field as show in the screenshot below. Also enter the ‘captcha’ code, and then click on ‘Continue.’
4. After a few seconds, the website will show you the Activation Lock status of the device. In our case, the Activation Lock was turned ON, so you’ll see a screen like the one shown below.
5. If the iCloud Activation Lock feature is enabled then you would have to follow the steps outlined below to disable it, as per Apple. Otherwise, you’re good to go.
If The Device Is Erased
If The Device Isn’t Erased
We also have an easy guide on how to remove a device from Find My iPhone as well, so be sure to follow that in case you hit a roadblock: Remove iPhone, iPad, Mac From Find My iPhone – How To.
The steps might seem a bit complicated, but if followed correctly then it can save you or the other person from a lot of trouble, or even embarrassment, if you’re asking us.
If you haven’t turned on Find My iPhone on your iOS device already then you may like to check out: How To Enable Find My iPhone On iPhone, iPad.