1st Gen Moto X Updated To Android 5.1.1 Lollipop With Dirty Unicorns ROM – How To
The Moto X is a beautiful smartphone which was released way back in 2013, it beholds a 4.7 inch display with a resolution of 1280 x 720. The chip powering this set is a dual core 1.7GHz Krait 300 with a GPU of Adreno 320. The device with its premature characteristics runs on Jellybean and got the Lollipop update as it was promised.
Moto X is now updated to the Android Lollipop 5.1.1 with Dirty Unicorns ROM. The update is quite stable and several exploitation have been patched in the 9.3 version. There are also big fixes part of the update. If you want to flash the Dirty Unicorns ROM, we have devised certain steps that will aid you in doing so.
Points To Ponder
- USB Debugging should be enabled on your Moto X. To enable it, go to Settings >> About Phone. Then repeatedly tap on the Build Number until a message pops up saying, ‘You are now a developer’. Now open Settings >> Developers option and enable it.
- Create a backup of your data before proceeding further.
- Your Moto X should be rooted with the most recent recovery system and the bootloader should also be unlocked.
- This guide uses the TWRP Recovery.
- All functions might not be working to the optimum level since the update is still in the testing phase.
- The update only works on Moto X 2013 model. Your device might get bricked if you install on the incorrect variant.
- Perform wipe cache partition and wipe delvik cache partition if your device gets stuck on boot.
Update Moto X 2013 To Android 5.1.1 Lollipop With Dirty Unicorns ROM.
Download Dirty Unicorns ROM and GApps. Use a USB cable to connect your Moto X to your computer. Copy the downloaded ROM file to internal storage of your phone. Remember the location where you put this file as you will be needing it later on.
Unplug your Moto X and boot it into recovery mode. Do this by press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power button. You will see Boot menu screen and since the touch does not work here, navigate using Volume Down and select Recovery using Volume Up. When the Android logo is displayed on the screen, press Volume Up and Down together for a 5 seconds at least then press the Power button. You are now in the Recovery Mode.
Create a backup of the current ROM in the Recovery Mode. This is useful when the ROM being flashed does not work or if you want to go back to the original one. Select Backup from Recovery and Swipe for the Swipe to Backup button.
Next you will Wipe data. Select ‘Wipe system/data/cache/internal and SDcard.
Back to the recovery menu and select install. Locate the Dirty Unicorn ROM file you have saved in the internal storage (Step 1) and confirm to install.
The GApps will be installed in the similar manner. After you do this, reboot the device by going to System >> Reboot.
Your Moto X will restart in the updated Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with Dirty Unicorn ROM. Wait a few minutes for device to load completely, 10 minutes would be enough after the device boots up. This will ensure enhanced experience and fewer lags.
Like always, DO NOT try to flash ROMs if you have no experience in the field. If you do so, your Moto X might get bricked permanently. Safe Flashing! Do share with us your experience in the comments section below and let us know how you liked the Dirty Unicorns ROM.